When I first started I had no idea of all of the things I thought I knew, but didn't. Even after 6 years I feel like I'm learning something every year. For new teachers it can be overwhelming- I've always been the type to help where I can so I found Miss Kindergarten's super cute Linky Party "10 things I've learned from Teaching" and I had to participate. :) So here goes nothing y'all!
Ten things I've learned from Teaching
1.Be Prepared! Even after years of teaching and knowing what I am doing, if I walk in unprepared- my kids have some spidey sense and know their teacher is unprepared. It usually leads to them acting a little cray. :/
2. No matter how many times I tell my kinder babies my name "Mrs. Martinez" there is always going to be a few that call me "Mrs." or "Teacher". Forget the fact that well....it's been almost an entire school year and I've reminded them oh....a BILLION times! :) You just get used to it.
3. Do not do something because everyone else is. Do what you feel best doing and know is going to work for your class. I struggled with this for writing. I'll be honest and say that our district curriculum....well...it's not the best. I tried it how the district wanted but I wasn't seeing progress in the way I thought I could. So I changed it up and did it in the way that worked best for my babes. And I tell you what, I saw amazing progress.
4. A kid will do whatever they can to avoid work. I'll tell you a certain friend used to sharpen his pencil like it was going out of style. Another friend had a close relationship with the restroom. He always found a reason to visit the restroom when it was time to work. Silly kids! Gotta love them. Thankfully, I caught on and always had a extra pencil or two or four for my sharpening loving friend.
5. You wanna know the truth? Ask a 5 year old. I can not tell you how many times I heard "Mrs. Martinez, you're baby is huge!!" (Thankfully- I was pregnant during this comment) They don't miss a beat, but they sure forget to be quiet or what directions you just gave them. Mess up once and they remember that FOR....EVER!
6. Count, Count, Count and Count some more. I'll tell you the truth- I left a friend in the bathroom once. Not realizing that they had gone without my permission. Count those kids like it's going out of style because one always finds a way to stay somewhere to follow another class down the hall. I cross my heart and promise the kid was okay, but it reminded me to not assume they were all there.
7. SING! Sing your heart out. My best bet was making up a song to get them to follow directions. It's crazy how they remember when I mess up, but they never said anything about when I made up a song and the tune changed or was different from the last time. Once I started singing they didn't care, they were just happy to sing along.
8. Mommies and Daddies don't care about you lingo and all you know until they can see how much you care about their babies. Show them you care about their little ones and parents will support you and listen to "most of" what you have to say.
9. Make friends with the custodians and office ladies- those peeps will be your best friends when you need something. Coming from a mom who was a teacher, I learned quick if you take care of them- they take care of you. I bring them treats and tacos or always stop in to check on them. Gotta love those people because they work hard and mean well.
10.No matter how many times you try to explain to people that teaching isn't as easy as they think, unless they step in the class they will never understand what we do. The only thing that matters is that my kiddos know I am doing what I love and I will do anything to be the best teacher for each of them. It takes heart regardless if the rest of the world understands.
Head on over and join up I'd love to hear what you have learned. :)

Hi Marisa! I am your newest follower! Love your ideas and the way your write. :) You are so right with singing- they remember anything that is a song! I'd love you to stop over to my blog if you get a chance!
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
Kindergarten: Holding Hands & Sticking Together
Hi Carolyn,
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to have you as a follower of my blog. :) I'm definitely excited to start following your super cute blog. :) Thanks for stopping by.
Marisa